Biometric Face Recognition Attendance System for Human Resource Management
In every sphere, technological advancements are taking place to match the pace of growing business. One such system that makes the process of attendance and admission instant is the biometric attendance system.
Biometric identification is a technique that measures an individual's physical or behavioural characteristics for identification purposes.
In the past, passwords were the only method available to identify individuals. Passwords became obsolete due to obtaining password information and hacking into accounts. Biometrics emerged as a replacement for passwords that provide greater security that is not easy to hack into compared to passwords.
Many biometrics are used for attendance; one widely used, secure, and easy method is the face recognition attendance system.
What is a Facial Recognition Attendance System?
In our world, Biometric face recognition is used everywhere. It is an advanced, automated, and sensible identification system that can identify a person by facial features. It uses a digital camera to capture the image of the face, a computer for processing and analysis, and an output device for displaying the identification result.
It is straightforward to identify any person from different facial images. The face recognition system is a high-speed and reliable technology. This biometric is very safe because it can identify people without any mistakes.
Face recognition is considered the first step toward building biometric access control-based application scenarios, where biometric features are extracted from the individuals. This system is used in many government offices, firms, banks, and other places.
Working of the system:
Face recognition works by inputting the image into the database before being ready to use. Once the image is processed, it converts it into an analogue and gets saved in the database.
Face analysis is a technique in which facial features like the length of the nose, lips, size between the eyebrows, size of the forehead, etc., are mapped.
These features are recorded and saved in the system. Once the database preserves the image, it is detected by the camera.
To use it successfully, the system must be used correctly. The system must be able to identify the individuals being analyzed. It should be used with individuals who are known, in advance, to be in the database. The system should not be used with people who do not appear in the database.
Human resource management and face recognition feature:
Face recognition is a useful software for human resource management. Of course, the elements like HR management and the attendance system are two different things. But the system eases the work of HR departments and their members.
Human resources management seeks to keep track of employees' performance. Every company wants its staff members to perform better and excel. Facel Recognition software is now commonly used by HR departments around the globe. People generally think only governments and law enforcement agencies engage in face recognition software. However, you will find that every industry uses it. Customer service through live chat makes the job even easier for HR Department when encountering any technical issues.
Face recognition software is now commonly used by HR departments around the globe. HR professionals manage the workforce efficiently and effectively by applying organizational theory and practices. In addition, there is increasing recognition that HRM can improve employee motivation and performance through several means in recent times.
Misconceptions about Face recognition system:
- There is a myth about face recognition that can identify the identity of people. This is not true because face recognition can only remember the person and their identity.
- The system does not invade the privacy of any kind. It is designed to not connect the person's image to their other accounts or devices.
- As a person ages, the system won't probably recognize you. You don't have to believe this. Every day the system monitors your face and grants you access. The system does not forget you or fail to provide admission even after years—the system updates to the latest changes.
- Are you assuming that these systems are costly to install?
Compared to other Biometric attendance system, this costs a bit lower. Depending on the characteristics, the pricing is done accordingly.
Applications of face recognition system:
- Facial recognition technology is one of the emerging innovative technologies that help companies, organizations, and government agencies to improve their business productivity. It helps in identifying and recognizing people.
- It is an analytical tool that identifies a person by matching their face with the stored image in the database. Then, an algorithm compares a person's facial features against the facial features of the stored images on the database. This technology has gained rapid acceptance globally among global brands.
- It is a fast, high-accuracy system that accurately identifies and recognizes faces for identity verification, customer identification, security, access control, and other uses.
- The technology is used in various sectors, including finance, retail, government, and industry. For instance, it can be used in automated teller machines, retail banking, airport check-in, customer identification, and credit/debit card payments.
Advancements in face recognition system:
Facial recognition technology promises many advantages over existing biometric technologies, including reduced error rates and significantly less cost and training needs than those associated with fingerprinting. The benefits promised by the vendors include faster screening times with increased accuracy, better usability, speed, reliability, ease of implementation, improved security, convenience, etc.
Facial recognition technology is a very efficient technology. It is based on how closely you can match a photograph to a person in real time. Some face recognition software uses a 3D scan of the face or retinal scan to identify the person. In the future, there is a possibility of doing anything in your own home by just using face recognition systems. For example, you can talk to your smart glasses, laptop, car, and fridge. You will also be able to unlock your front door or your car door by just using your face.
Advantages and Disadvantages:
As the generation progresses, it is observed that people are becoming more and more impatient. They do not want to spare extra time that they do not benefit from. This has led to a quick and easy way of marking the presence in the workplace through a biometric system.
- Human impatience has led to the innovation of machines and gadgets that make our life easier.
- Since the dependency of human beings on technology has been realized, there remains one question, is it good for the future or not?
- The answer lies in imposing restrictions and limitations we create on advanced systems and software.
- The developments in technology must not be such that it makes humans vulnerable to being dependent on machines for their work.
- Accessing daily objects through face recognition sounds exciting but do we need it?
- Not really. Some products are developed that are truly beneficial to people, and some are not.
- Paving the way for ease in attendance through face recognition is acceptable, but monitoring employees with GPS to ensure they are in front of a screen is unacceptable.
- Developing tools that make tasks easier for employees is a good move but limiting their break time and increasing workload to maximize productivity is wrong.
- Face recognition attendance systems have advantages like eliminating proxy attendance and the absence of errors.
- One of the reasons why facial recognition is not utilized in organizations is that the employees feel unsafe about the system and do not trust privacy. In addition, many women do not like their images to be available or saved on the database.
- People who undergo surgeries that involve the face have to go through face recognition from scratch.
- Like any other advanced technological innovations and software, a facel recognition biometric attendance system also has benefits and limitations.
Read More: Role Of Internet of Things in Biometrics